Sending emails just to a group of people is not an email campaign. Certain ethics should be followed while setting up an email campaign, to make it effective, so that it reaches brings in branding and conversions to you. If you are first-timer making an email campaign or already if you have run an email campaign and failed, no matter, make it right next time, so that you get purpose and intention of the email campaign fulfilled. Below are the few things you need to look at, whilst shooting an email campaign.
1. Understand the Objective & Plan the Email Campaign
It is more important to understand for what and whom you are sending the email, and what is the purpose (objective) and result should be. The email campaign can be to generate business leads, to promote and raise awareness about your product brand, or sending it to existing customers to increase the retention rates or to do up-selling / cross-selling. Once you understand the business requirement, make a plan to get ready with the campaign. Below are few important things to be considered while shooting the email campaign.
a. The Database
Database plays a crucial role in email marketing. If you have got a database of your own or you are hiring a email marketing agency to do an email campaign, make sure that the database is authentic and not Bot-Generated. Authentic is permission based-email marketing, whereas bot-generated is the database which is acquired from the web using some scripts.
If you are shooting an email campaign for a Car Rental Company or Hotel, the email content should focus more on the brand and enquiries.
b. Target Audience
Identify your target audience, based on criteria which match your business. Few things to be considered would be the people age group, industry, income level, gender etc. If your target audience is not well planned – this might lead to a failure. Example, if you are sending an email campaign to sell cars, and the age group is less than 18 that doesn’t solve the purpose, as age is not suited and income level would be less.
c. Email Response Tracking
When the email is shot, you need to know what the open rates are and click rates. This report will ensure how much your brand has reached the people and how many are interested etc. Don’t forget to use the Google UTM – to track your hit rates in the analytics. If an agency is doing it or you have got the bulk email software make sure you have the option to view the reports.
Know your budgets and act accordingly. Plan your email campaign, in a way that you can take the return on investment, based on the conversion rates.
Creative is one of the important factors which are an integral part of success to an email campaign. The creative, should be designed in a way that it gives trust to viewer. Things to keep in mind while designing.
- Logo – Make it look prominent
- Prime Message – provide short ,simple and upto the point
- Call to action – What users wants to do.
- Font & Color Usage – Make sure you use the right color which matches your logo and more importantly based on the region of target audience.
- Images – Use appropriate images.
3. Subject Line
50% success of your email campaigns Open-Rates / Click-Through depends on an effective subject line. Make sure you use a subject line that gains the interest and attention of person who opens the email. Do not use the words, free, offer, and discount, also unethical words in the subject line, as most of the web / email engines, consider them as spam.
4. Emailer Template
The email template should be HTMLized and also alt text should given, so if images doesn’t open from HTML the text version will ease the user to read. Now that the technology is developed, most of the people they check email using their iPad, iPhone, blackberry or any other mobile applications. So the email template should be designed and developed in a way that it is compatible with the latest technology.
5. Landing Page
Whilst the call-to-action is there in your email template, make sure it is linked to the right place in the website. The Landing page should be designed extra-ordinary to ensure, it is more informative and will interest the customer to make an enquiry or opt for the service.
6. Email Testing
Don’t forget to check the emails with different email ids and email service provider before shooting it to customers. (Check in Gmail, yahoo, hotmail, your official email id, outlook, apple etc). This test is important as this will show you how the readers will see your email. Make sure that the images are not broken, unnecessary spaces, mails are not ending up in spam folder, html and text version works fine etc.
7. Use Unsubscribe Link
Always use a unsubscribe link at the footer of the email. So that readers can unsubscribe for your email anytime and also web servers makes sure it is not spam and is permission based.
8. Email Servers
Make sure your email server or the client’s email server can handle bulk number of emails. If there is lot of emails being sent from specific IP, which doesn’t have the capacity to handle, high risks are there to get you website/server blacklisted. This is either for bulk emails being sent is specific pulse time or even because of high bounce rates.
9. Communicate across Various channels
If emails are sent make sure you are communicating it across various channels like website home page banner, advertisements etc. wherever possible to make it effective and aware.
I happen to meet 2 Senior Management People, who wants to create an online revolution in a product and render services in a different ecommerce strategy. (I am not revealing the name of the person, product or the company at this time.) Whereas will share an important question they asked me during the discussion. I.e. what would be the challenge in ecommerce? I thought for a while and said the below.
1. Once the customer reaches your website, what would he see in the website and would he stay in the website
2. Generally, just by visiting your website or seeing the product ad, the product and services will not sell themselves. What is the solution for the customer, for the questions “Why should he buy your product” and “how that is your product or service is different from others”.
3. If the visitor is interested in your products, what would be the trust factor? Though if the visitor of the website is potential customer, what if he does not trust your website
4. The decision to buy a product or service doesn’t last long, so what is that going to be in lined, to make the customer make and quickly buy your product or service
5. Generally customers do not like websites which are standard, so when planning to make business online, it’s also good to show the uniqueness of the website aligned that with the brand logo and color usage
6. Importantly, when you are having a ecommerce website, which involves database, financial transactions, you need be aware about the hackers. So it’s important to have website security vulnerability scanning and a proper IT Infrastructure.
There is lot more things other than the above, but still, if the above is taken care, then the other minor challenges will get solved. It also matters, how the website is hosted, and how secure is your web server. I had a refreshing discussion after such a long time.
Greater the brand visibility, greater would be the chances for your product to be retained in the customers mind, resulting in increased volume of sales. So to increase the brand visibility, it’s a must to create an excitement among your customers. Here are a few proven tips that would popularise your brand in the Market.
1. Have an attractive-speaking Website – “Attractive-Speaking Website” doesn’t mean that someone should voice in the website, it’s about the content and design of the website. The design should be attractive, with consistency in colour, and product. The content should talk about what the product is? And what does the product do? And why one should buy your product? If these 3 questions are answered, then the needful customers will get trust. Next step would be SEO (Search Engine Optimization) – which brings in your site in top of search engines when right keywords are chosen for identifying your website content.
2. Special Promotions – you can make a noise in the market, by providing variety of offers, gifts, discounts, etc during the festival season. Here you need to be careful about what to bundle with your product, to attract potential customers. This can be done by running a email campaign, online poster ads, website banners, and many more.
3. Media – Its one of the effective means of increasing brand visibility. If your budget fits in you can provide television ads or else you can go with social media, where you can create your own videos and upload, promote them. When you do these kinds of ads, you can sponsor / embed some social awareness and welfare messages.
4. Newspapers & Magazines – The most widely used means to promote your product and its brand. When it comes to newspapers and magazines, you can promote your brand by 2 ways. The no.1 would be to provide frequent news, press releases and articles to the editors and the no.2 would be to provide ads in the newspaper and magazines, both online as well as offline i.e. print media.
5. Sponsors – It’s all based on your Product. If you product is kind of enterprise then sponsor a corporate event, seminar etc. If your product is for consumers, then sponsor it for some major events like film fare, fashion show, sports, colleges, cultural programmes, social awareness programs and many more. These kinds of major events brings in lot of people in one place, which with combination of the media, newspaper, internet etc will provide you good weightage for your brand among the customers.
6. Viral Marketing – Viral Marketing is spreading the brand via buzzwords. Effective participation in social media optimization and social networking sites, will popularize your brand as well and bring in quality visitors to your website, and potential customers to your business. Promote your brand via popular websites like facebook, YouTube, google, yahoo buzz, etc which is a place where people will gather online. So effective promotion in social book marking sites will bring in success.
7. Online Forums and Communities – discuss and help your customers online by joining in forums and online communities. Create a group and share interesting topics and new product releases, upgrade etc.
8. Banners & Hoardings – these 2 again are great medium of advertising. Choose the right location if it’s going to be a physical banner/hoarding or choose the right website, to give banner ad online. An important tip here is to associate your logo, product and brand with some kind of social awareness messages to get additional exposure of your Brand.
9. Email Signatures – Whenever you or your associates send an email, use your company logo in the signature along with the website. A well organized, effective and unique color scheme will attract your customers and clients.
10. Other means of Promotions – Give your employees and customers T-Shirts, Jerkins with your logo printed, Give stickers for your employees to stick in their vehicles for parking inside the premises, make canopy of umbrella , standees, when you put some stalls on the road-side, put your logo in your office bus, give a pen with your logo embossed in it to customers / clients who trial your products, give an award, a shield which has got the logo embossed to your resellers and dealers to place it in their shops etc. There are still lot of small things which can really bring in great brand visibility, potential customer and good reputation to your business.
H1, H2, Alt Texts , Page Title are more important when optimizing a website. So its important to have the target keywords in these tags. Below are the few important HTML tags that needs to be used in SEO.
<title> Internet Marketing Blog </title> – This tag is the one which is more important and would be seen in search engine results as well as browsers.
Keyword Tag – This would contain the words which are generally searched in search engines
<meta name=”keywords” content=”keyword, keywords, key words, effective search terms, search keywords “>
Description Tag – Gives a short description about what the page is about.
<meta name=”description” content=”Optimize your website with important SEO HTML tags”>
Author – Provide the author name or email address
<meta name=”author” content=”Yuvaraj Hermesmyth”>
Robots – a conditon with which we can allow or disallow indexing by search engines
< meta name=”robots” content=”allow”>
<h1> Heading 1 </h1>
< h2> Heading 2 </h2>
< h3> Heading 3 </h3>
< h4> Heading 4 </h4>
< h5> Heading 5 </h5>
< h6> Heading 6 </h6>
Tag for Automatically Refreshing a Webpage after 20 Seconds
<meta http-equiv=”refresh” content=”20;url=http://www.hermesmyth.com/”>
Tag for Image Optimization
Optimizing a image name is also important. A good alt text will also be helpful in SEO.
<img src=”painting.gif” alt=”Mordern Paintings” />
When you want to post an email and when clicked it that needs to be opened in the users default email client this tag is used.
<a href=”mailto:email@example.com?subject=Hello%20Yuvaraj“> Send Mail</a>
Internal Links or Links placed within the webpage should have proper keywords in alt text, which helps the website rank better.
<a href=”http://artgallery.hermesmyth.com” alt=”Art Gallery, Mordern Day Paintings”>Art Gallery</a>
Few important points to be noted:
1.) Website Submission: When a website is submitted in a website it is good to have minimum 200 words, with 2-3% keyword density.
3.) Don’t use Frames or limit the usage of frames, hence search engine won’t recognize the frameset which cause lot of problems to the search engine spiders. Its better to use internal hyperlinks inside frames, if you wanted to have frames.
4.) Flash Pages: Use the Meta keywords and description tag for flash pages. Webpages which are completed designed using flash is called as splash pages. Most of these flash components are not recognized by search engines as they are not HTML hyperlinks.
5.) Have Speed, Reliable and Best Web Hosting Server, to prevent website down-times.
SEO (Search Engine Optimisation, has never been a hard task, until and unless we are up-to-date with the recent trends, search techniques and search engine algorithms.
“There is nothing permanent except changes” – So once you go with the changes, then really you can make a difference by achieving success. The same applies in SEO too. You don’t have to give more importance to the traditional SEO. All you have to do is, use the traditional expertise, and research new and modern tactics used in SEO. Still I don’t say, you need to omit all the traditional methods, but you can follow a few really good tactics used in traditional marketing as well.
In today’s scenario, the best way to achieve better and high ranking is building quality inbound links, anchored with functional quality keywords, related to the website.
Nowadays one-ways links and directories are given high importance than the link exchanges or reciprocal linking, which are not any more used by SEO’s until its of utmost importance.
Previously, in SEO, when a reciprocal link is given, they add the “no-follow” attribute. But nowadays, search engines no longer support this. For example, in blogs, if Google identifies, a link as a Spam link, then no longer it indexes it. So here the search engines companies have done a good job changing the search algorithms accordingly.
Also when it comes to SMO (Social Media Optimization) some websites has started no follow attributes. Recently Digg added the no-follow attribute to external links, which applies for comments, user profiles and story pages. But still its only applicable for some links and not for all.
To know more about the recent happenings and updates in SEO, you can visit some leading SEO forums or discussion boards. To know about Google’s search techniques, I think you can visits Matt Cutts Blog. Here Matt Cutts discusses about SEO, fun and lot more about books. Really a interesting stuff.
So you need to know about the recent seo trends and seo tips to better perform in search engine to achieve high/top rankings.
Can we implement SEO in all the fields ranging from Pin to plane industry? (This is a common question asked by SEO Beginners)
Yes offcourse, its all about the actual marketing tactic and the concept understanding. If you understand who your target customer is, then you need not worry about what industry it is.
Sometime back, I was asked a question, you have been experienced only in the security software industry, and now how would you do SEO for our Mobile industry. I was bit puzzled, hence the interviewer had got good experience in marketing. (I just got puzzled, when the interviewer said, I have been in this mobile industry for the past 15 years, and if you leave me in internet security industry, I won’t be able to market it) Then I thought for a while, and said, its all about the understanding of the marketing concept and the product. If I know what the product is, and whom it is meant for then really its not a big concern. I know where to get my Cup of Tea from. The true fact is that, if we understand the product and know our target customers then we need not worry about what the industry is going to be. We can definitely make our money there if we are really well in what we do.
You can go through the off-page optimization tips and on-page optimization tips to better perform in the interviews. But be sure, you have implemented them atleast once, to know about the pro’s and con’s, which the interviewer may question you.
The most important thing in SEO, is choosing the best keywords. A best and the performing keywords alone can bring good amount of QUALITY TRAFFIC and thereby increases the conversion rates to a website.
So while choosing a keyword for a website, the search engine optimizer should think in the consumer point of view, so that they can choose the right keywords / keyphrases, which a customer enters into the search box, while searching for something over the web.
So how to choose the right keywords?
This can be explained in a step by step process.
Step 2: Choose the appropriate keyword, which is very much relevant to your website and would be searched by customers
Step 3: Once you enter the keywords in your website, using the analytics check out which keywords are performing and non-performing. Tweak the non-performing keywords
Step 4: Use long tail key phrases in the website. Say for example, you are having a Online marketing company, and willing to provide online marketing services. The use the key pharases, such as Internet Marketing service provider in India or online marketing consultant, UK and so on, whichever is relevant to your business and business location.
Step 5: Importantly check, if the keywords, content, links are relevant. Hence relevancy is only way to bring quality traffic and page rank to the website.
Soon I would be back with the next post of how to focus on the keywords internally in a website and external link building.
Off-Page Optimization is optimizing a website with target keywords related to the website content externally. This external search engine optimization techniques increase the page rank, as well as increases the conversion rates via maximization of search engine results for the specified targeted keywords.
Off-Page optimization includes external linking and placement of targeted keywords in the content, linking the targeted keyword to the relevant web page. The off-page search engine optimization techniques involves the following.
1.) Website / Directory Submission
Submitting the website to multiple relevant website, search engine and business directories
2.) Press Releases and Article Distribution
Writing press releases and publishing it online. When writing press releases it should have some “Targeted Keywords”, which should be hyperlinked to the relevant webpage.
3.) Social Networking
Social networking has been in very good hype and becoming one of the important thing in linking building activity. Social networking sites like digg, delicious, slashdot, twitter etc have been increasing the linkablity and also brings good audiences.
4.) Link Building Campaigns
Apart from the above said link building tactics, we can also do specialized link building campaigns. We can request for complementary links from the people/other business who do business with us. This also involves, one-way, two-way, three-way and multiway link building.
5.) Link Exchanges
Link Exchange is exchanging the links between two website owners. There are certain factors such as page rank, relevancy of the business etc to be considered, inorder to do quality link building.
6.) Blogging and Commenting
We can have our blogs or can ask some bloggers to provide links to the website for which we seek optimization for. Also we can visit someother blogs and comment for their articles, by providing our link. This is also one way to aquire links
7.) Forum Postings
Forums are also one way of acquiring links. We can discuss on some good topic, where more number of poeple will participate. Here in forums, signature are considered important. we can either provide the link or just hyperlink the keyword, so that the forum vistors would click the link to know more about the person who has contributed to the forum. Real interesting topics will fetch good amount of traffic to the website.
Also note that while running a link building campaign, check out the page rank for better results. If the page rank is higher than yours, then it must be your target to get a link. Hence it would definitely provide your website with a good page rank as well in the future after off-page optimisation is done.
I would discuss more about how to choose the target keywords, the impact of off-page optimization to a website in SEO and the comparison between on-page optimization and off-page optimization in my upcoming posts. Till then stay tuned…..